Wednesday, May 17, 2006

you can't even plan tomorrow...

I had an extremely looong doctor's appointment yesterday May 16th (4 hours with only 30 min. of it actually with the doctor). And you know you've been at the doctor a long time when:

1. the nurse screams "free at last! free at last! Thank God Almighty Miss Greer is free at last!" when you leave. 2. several chemo patients come in, get treatment for an hour or 2, and leave before you ever see the doctor.

4 hour long doctor's visits make crappy days...but at least you are there long enough to make (several) friends with the old people in the waiting room...haha!! :) In reality, God blessed me with some really incredible/challenging/encouraging conversations with people...it blows me away how easily people will tell you their amazing life stories when you actually listen to them. It was made clear to me that there was purpose behind the long wait because of the people I met. I'll tell more about them later.

today (Wednesday) was supposed to mark the beginning of my radiation treatment to get rid of the rest of my thyroid cancer. But, we have been dealt another little surprise :)

-Due to the iodine levels in my blood they found this week (a result of the cat scan I had before my thyroid surgery a month ago), they now can't start the radiation therapy right now anymore. I will be put on temporary thyroid medicine for 3 weeks (until June 5th) to make me feel a little better than I do now and to kind of "hold off" the cancer in case it is growing. Then I have to stop the medicine and let my body get worse again for a month.

-I am then scheduled to get my first radiation injection July 5th, and have a scan on the 7th. During those two days I can only have VERY limited contact with any other human because I will be radioactive (they will tell us more details about this later). Yes you read that correctly. People think I am weird because this is ridiculously funny to me for some reason right now (although when the time comes, I'm sure it will be frustrating haha). I should only have to have 2-3 rounds of this. Of course, as I am finding out, all this can change at a moment's notice.

"Indeed in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers." 2 Corinthians 1: 9-11

They are telling me not to worry too much about the cancer and the doctors believe right now that the radiation (whenever I get it) will take care of any cancer that may be left floatin around inside of me. :) Right now they seem to believe it will be more of an inconvenience than a danger. So no worries. :) at least right now.

No comments: