Tuesday, April 14, 2009

hope

i get so frustrated with myself this time of year when fear decides to take over my every thought as i go through my yearly tests. if i pass, this will be the last one. i want to be okay. i'm hoping that i will be.

but...our pastor said something at church this week that has been ringing in my head ever since:

hope isn't wishing nothing bad will happen to you.

we hope for things to turn out alright, when we should be hoping for the glory of God to be revealed in us. suffering ends up producing hope. not hope in ourselves, but hope in someone better...

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5: 1-5

5 comments:

Mike said...

Dude,
I get so stoked about "the hope of glory" that the bible talks about. It really blows my mind, when the bible says not only does Christ clear our transgressions but through Christ we become heirs of God, that we inherit the privilege of sharing in his glory!! I mean it seems crazy enough my sins are forgiven, how much more crazy is it that I can share in the glory of the Almighty?! Ridiculous...

On another note, when are you coming to visit willam and I out here in Boulder? It'd be fun to see you and I'm sure you'd love it out here. I'll pray for your tests, i really appreciate your blog!

Marianna said...

What kinds of tests do you have to take?

alysong said...

mike- i really do plan on coming out there sometime this summer. june or july probably! are ya'll busy during the summer?

alysong said...

marianna- i had cancer a while back so for the tests next week i will be getting injected with radiation to determine if i am in remission or not. say a prayer for me if you think about it- i don't always do so well with lots of needles...haha. :)

Anonymous said...

Aly
You've been strengthened tremendously by the last 3 years, so don't let your faith waiver now. God will deliver you - in His time. Love you.