Sunday, October 22, 2006

tiaras and plastic high heels can make a girl's day

this morning i saw something wonderful.

two little girls walked into a restaurant with their mom, completely decked out in sparkly princess costumes, tiaras atop tangled hair, and plastic dress up shoes. they proudly pranced in, completely unaware and unconcerned with the various reactions of everyone else in the restaurant.

many people (including our table) laughed or smiled, although i noticed a few dissaproving stares from people who clearly thought it was a ridiculous decision and/or poor parenting for the mom to let her kids out of the house like this. secretly i think part of me wanted to go shake those people.

i don't really care if the mom lost a battle with the little girls over getting dressed this morning or whether she actually encouraged the girls to dress up for their morning out. whether it was purposeful or not, i think it was a great decision. their excitement at wanting to show the world how special they were struck a chord in me. i think all girls want to know we are beautiful....that is probably why we like to get dressed up.

they made me smile because they reminded me of how little girls are by nature so secure in their beauty and confident in the belief that they are made to be princesses. its like it is instictively build into our very spirit. God made our hearts to work this way! ...sadly, after years of being hurt, rejected, taunted, or abandoned, the world strips us of our confidence, telling us we are too fat, too short, too stupid, or too weak. we are told that we are just like everybody else. bitterness and insecurity make us doubt that we are anything special...that we deserve to be loved.

and all the while God is gently trying to whisper to us how beautiful he thinks we are, how much he values us, how we are princesses and heirs to his kindgom. the King is enthralled by our beauty.

God whispered that to me today, and i am grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well written, girl. i also love when little children dance - carefree and completely oblivious of all else. i think those moments are sweet hints of what eden was like...

John David Henderson said...

I confess that at times I am frustrated at and bitter towards women. In those moments I forget that little girls grow up with everything precious and beautiful about themselves under attack. It's heartbreaking how the world tries to exploit. As a man, I'm praying for wisdom here, to see the root of all hurt and disfunction. Praying for the grace to be able to love it into remission. I look fondly at the possibility of having daughters one day. I think that could be the sort of battle I was made for. To expound on part of the Ihop dinner conversation, I don't dance now but I will every day if I'm given a daughter.

By the way, it was nice to meet you tonight. I clicked on your facebook profile and then found this link.