Saturday, January 17, 2009

augustine's rhetoric

"Nevertheless, I would confess to you my shame, for your glory. Bear with me, I implore you, and give me the grace to retrace in my present memory the devious ways of my past errors and so be able to offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving."

"With you is perfect rest, and life unchanging. The one who enters into you enters into the joy of his Lord, and shall have no fear and shall achieve excellence in the excellent one. I fell away from you, my God, and in my youth I wandered too far from you, my true support. And I became a wasteland to myself."

-Augustine, Confessions

reading this book makes me realize how horribly lazy we are with our words. i definitely recommend it. for something written around 400 a.d it is totally relevant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are reading some of the best classical lit. IKf words are the mirror of the soul we got some totally blank souls wandering GGE.

alissa said...

Wow..you really just made me want to read that.